Addictive foods and meals, how to prevent their presence in the kitchen?
For some time there has been talk of food addiction as if food or certain nutrients had an effect similar to drugs, and although with what we eat we cannot “abstinence” because the body needs to feed itself to live, it has been shown that some ingredients in our dishes generate a response similar to addictive substances in the brain. That's why today we tell you what those are addictive foods and foods and how to prevent their presence in the kitchen.
Addictive foods and meals
To substantiate why some foods and foods are addictive we will refer to our biology, remembering that our ancestors were hunter-gatherers and that they lived in constant activity to obtain food, while they consumed food alternately, going through cycles of scarcity / famine and large intakes when it was possible to hunt a large animal for example.
Thus, our genes that lived a long time under these conditions of life, have been wisely developed to withstand those periods of scarcity and to make the most of the foods when there is, then, genetics told us (and even tells us) that we like fats more, because they are easily stored in our body offering us reserves for when there are none and they are also more concentrated in energy.
Also, simple sugars They do not require great digestive work and that quickly pass into the blood generating a release of insulin, a hormone that stimulates the storage of fat, they are also more favorable for the survival of the human being.
Both sugars and fats do not require great metabolic work so they do not generate an expenditure of calories for our body to digest as they do cause proteins or fibers. And also, together they make the perfect combination to get the most out of what we eat and endure new periods of scarcity without risk of life.
These nutrients are determinants of the effects caused in our body by the addictive foods and meals. That is why we speak of "carbo-fats" as the combination of nutrients responsible for food addiction.
So, we know why junk food is addictive with its high fat content and sugars present either in the soda that usually accompanies the hamburger with french fries or in the bread that is flavored with sugar to “combine better” with the fats. of the rest of the ingredients. Likewise, a commercial chocolate bar that combines sugars and fats is also addictive due to the carbofats.
How to prevent food addiction
Based on human physiology that explains why carbofats When consumed they create a response similar to drugs in our brain, generating pleasure and relieving our stress at the same time that they generate more desires to continue eating them, we can establish some tips to prevent food addiction:
- Avoid consuming carbo-fats in large amounts daily, that is, reduce the frequency with which we eat a cake, cream with sugar, butter with sweet or soda with chips. In this way we will not generate dependence on this type of food.
- Consume food in its most natural state possible, because generally the more food is processed to accentuate its flavor or to "create addiction", the more fats and sugars are combined, proof of this is in the commercial lactal bread to which some sugar and fats are added, the cereal bars or the cereals themselves, the commercial chocolates that are far from being a real dark chocolate that has much less sugar and more fats and tannins.
- Reduce when cooking the combination of fats with simple sugars or reduce the presence of either of the two ingredients, because if we try, we can quickly stop eating sugar alone or honey alone, but not so quickly we can stop if said honey or sugar is combined with butter.
- Avoid the intake of soft drinks to accompany our meals, because its sugars can make an addictive combination with the fats of the food.
- When cooking with fats and sugars, try that these nutrients are not alone, but are accompanied by fiber or protein to reduce the effect of carbofats in our body.
Occasionally consuming a cake with sugar whipped cream will not generate addiction in us, but if you can do it the fact of eating daily this type of preparations that present carbofats, addictive foods and meals that we can prevent with the help of the kitchen.