The best baked chicken recipe and 63 delicious side dishes to go with it
In many houses the tradition of Sunday rice is respected, but in others the baked chicken is the star of the weekend. And then there are the families in which we alternate the two dishes, because we must not give up any of these delicacies either. Be that as it may, a good roast poultry needs a garnish to match, and we don't always have to repeat the typical potatoes or white rice.
Perfect for family banquets without having to look for any festive excuse on the calendar, baked chicken is one of those recipes that in each house are prepared in a different way, creating a tasty family tradition that is passed from generation to generation, creating memories. indelible that wake up just by perceiving its aroma.
We have many variants that are definitely worth trying, as poultry admits a multitude of ingredients, fillings, sauces and dressings. Every house should have to its credit an infallible recipe to repeat or on which to improvise small variations, a roast chicken with crispy and golden skin, with juicy meat, a filling that provides more flavor and its typical bed of potatoes. A recipe of those that taste like home, of grandmothers, but of the real ones.
That is why today we make a small tribute to those nostalgic family meals with one of our best baked chicken recipes, with an authentic grandmother's stamp and her little tricks based on pure instinct and experience. And because it is the perfect chicken -or almost-, we propose different ideas of garnishes to adapt it to everyone's taste and to all occasions.
Grandma's Baked Chicken Recipe
IngredientsFor 4 people
- Whole free-range chicken 1
- Peeled pippin apple, chopped 1
- Lemon 1
- Peeled potato 2
- Chicken soup 250 ml
- Cognac 100 ml
- Fresh thyme
- Provencal herbs
- Concentrated broth tablet 1
How to make baked chickenDifficulty: Medium
- Total time 1 h 45 min
- Elaboration 15 m
- Cooking 1 h 30 min
We preheat the oven to 200ºC. We put our hand between the skin and the meat of the chicken to introduce branches of fresh thyme. We chop the apple and put it inside the chicken. We also add the stock cube and half a lemon, putting it on top so that the filling does not come out.
We rub the skin with a little butter and sprinkle with a handful of aromatic herbs. We cut the potatoes by tearing them into irregular pieces. We put them as a bed in a clay dish, place the chicken on top with the breast facing down, and add the broth and cognac.
We cook for about three-quarters of an hour. Then we turn the chicken, leaving the breast on top, water with the sauce and add more aromatics. Bake for 45 more minutes, until the skin is crisp.5 4 3 2 1 Thank you! 10 votes
More details in the full recipe.
The best garnishes to accompany baked chicken
A classic that never fails: potato recipes to never get bored
We have already commented that the most typical baked chicken recipe roasts the bird well accompanied by potatoes in the same source, but we can always prepare them separately to vary the garnish a bit. And not everyone likes to mix the juices from the roast with the tuber - there are people for everything. The humble potato can take thousands of different forms with more or less hearty dishes, many taking advantage of the same oven.
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Potato gratin with provolone cheese, rosemary and bay leaf
- Roasted potatoes with dill butter
- Roasted potatoes that melt in your mouth
- Potatoes au gratin with four cheeses
- Light baked potatoes as if they were fried
- Baked crushed potatoes with yogurt sauce
- Duchess potatoes
- Baked potatoes with citrus sauce
- Poor potatoes
- Potatoes Lyonnaise
- Spiced potato wedges
- Baked potato roses
- Roasted potatoes with poached shallots and fresh cream
Vegetables for all tastes
In a complete and balanced menu with baked chicken as the centerpiece, vegetables should not be missing. No, potatoes do not count as one of those five recommended servings, so adding a serving of vegetables to the table as a side dish is not a bad idea. There are many possible options, as we can serve them sautéed, cooked, steamed, raw or, perhaps the best idea, also roasted. Substituting potatoes for sweet potatoes is also a simple way to give more variety to our meals.
- Eggplants with tomato
- Mushrooms with pak choi and oyster sauce
- Microwave roasted sweet potato
- Baked sweet potato sticks
- Fried green peppers without frying in the microwave
- Battered borage
- Crispy artichokes
- Roasted pumpkin with kale or kale
- Roasted cherry tomatoes with Provencal herbs
- Baked tomatoes and onion with egg
- Sicilian caponata
- Green asparagus with toasted almonds
- Green beans sauteed with soy and almonds
- Butter beans
- Baked tandoori carrots with yogurt
- Baked Glazed Carrots and Radishes
- Slow Cooker Roasted Red Peppers
- Mushrooms au gratin with thyme and lemon
Salads for the whole year
In the warmer months, salads are at ease on the tables, competing for the place of the first course with cold soups, or becoming directly a single dish for simple lunches or dinners. Let's not forget that they can also serve as a suitable garnish for a baked chicken, bringing freshness to the menu and providing a certain balance as it is a lighter dish in principle. They have the added advantage that they can be left ready while the bird is roasting without haste, if at all by dressing them at the time of serving. It is important, that yes, that they are not excessively forceful or caloric.
- Beet, avocado and nectarine salad
- Celery, pistachio and blue cheese salad
- Broccoli Caesar Salad
- Waldorf salad
- Beet, goat cheese and blueberry salad
- Extremaduran Zorongollo
- Murciana Salad
- Carrot and turnip namasu or Japanese pickle salad
- Roasted vegetable salad and duck ham
- Endive, pomegranate and kikos salad with red fruit vinaigrette
- Carrot noodle salad with goat cheese, walnuts and orange blossom dressing
- Fennel, pear and goat cheese salad
- Italian panzanella
- Creamy cucumber salad
- Chinese cabbage salad
- Kale coleslaw with blueberries, feta, almonds and apricot
- Watercress and orange salad