Colombian cake: the delicious recipe inspired by the typical "colomba pasquale" from Italy
This Colombian cake recipe is taken from the Clandestine Cake Club book. We just wanted to see the photo, without having read what ingredients it had or how it was prepared. We were not mistaken in thinking it was delicious.
As explained in the book, this recipe is inspired by an Italian Easter sweet called "Easter Dove" with a texture similar to panettone. It is a cake with a rich flavor, a little soft underneath and with the surface finished off with a crispy layer of almonds and sugar. Doesn't it tempt you?
IngredientsFor 6 people
- Butter at room temperature (for the cake) 175 g
- Orange zest (for the sponge cake) 2
- Ground sugar (for the cake) 175 g
- Vanilla extract (for the cake) 1 teaspoon
- Eggs (for the cake) 3
- Egg yolks (for the cake) 2
- Pastry flour (for the cake) 175 g
- Chemical yeast (for the cake) 1/2 sachet
- Ground almond (for the sponge cake) 50 g
- Ground almond (for topping) 80 g
- Ground and sieved sugar (for topping) 80 g
- Egg white (for topping) 2
- Whole almonds (for topping) 50 g
- Pearl sugar (for topping) 40 g
- Custard powder preparation (for filling) 2 sachets
How to make Colombian cakeDifficulty: easy
- Total time 1 h 30 m
- Elaboration 1 hour
- Cooking 30 m
We start by preheating the oven to 170ºC and greasing two 20 cm molds. Then, beat the butter with the sugar until the mixture is fluffy. We add the vanilla extract and the eggs and yolks one by one, beating well after adding each one, and adding a tablespoon of flour with the last egg so that it does not curdle.
With a metal spoon, add and remove the ground almonds and then the remaining flour until it has been integrated. There should be a light but stiff mix. We distribute it among the molds evenly and reserve.
We mix the ground almonds, the ground sugar and the egg whites until obtaining a rough paste. With a spoon we spread it over the cakes, trying not to alter the cake dough that is underneath and that is still raw. We spread on top a few almonds and sugar pearls.
Bake about 30 minutes until the dough has grown, is firm to the touch and the surface is golden.We take them out of the oven and let them rest for about 10 minutes before placing them on a rack to cool completely. While we make the custard following the manufacturer's instructions. When everything is cold we use them to join the two cakes. Serve sprinkled with ground sugar.